Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Lesson #4: Awaken to a Higher Awareness

Lesson #4: Awaken to a Higher Awareness


This is part four of a series titled 6 Life Lessons Playing Piano Taught Me.


“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.” -Arthur C. Clarke



Some life changes occur as an accumulation of small things over time, so imperceptible we almost don’t realize what’s happening. Other changes happen all at once, and are so dramatic and impactful we know we will never be the same again. That’s the kind of shift that occurred when I met Daniel, who I later dubbed my “Zen” piano teacher.
I had been playing for about three years when I met him. I attended a piano concert featuring Jon Schmidt (now of The Piano Guys) and after the concert when I walked into the lobby I heard someone playing every bit as well as Jon himself. Furthermore, I recognized him. His name was Daniel. We had met briefly at a speech contest, and it was enough to give me the courage to initiate a conversation. He didn't have any music in front of him, but he was playing beautifully. I assumed he'd memorized the piece, but he informed me as he spok—without interrupting the music—that he was improvising. I didn't even know such a thing was possible, or that it could be done so well, and I asked him if he would be willing to teach me. He agreed, and the transformation began.
At our first lesson he asked me to demonstrate my skills. I started, as many of my students do, by apologizing for the mistakes I was about to make. I then proceeded to give a terrible performance. As the last notes faded I turned to him and he said, "I think you're better than that." I thought to myself, "No, I'm really not." But he saw something in me that no one else could see, and he believed in me long before I believed in myself.

My first few piano lessons with Daniel lasted about three hours each. He showed me what could be done with chords and how to improvise. I was surprised that with a chord progression and a bit of scale knowledge I could instantly create original songs that sounded amazing. The key to successful improvisation, I have since learned, is to turn off the judgmental part of my brain and just focus on keeping a steady rhythm. There's no such thing as a mistake in improvisation, but a good understanding of rhythm and chord function and scales can enhance player and listener satisfaction. The simplest beginning to successful piano improvisation, and one that I recommend to students of all ages, is to play using only the black keys. The black keys sound good in almost any combination, and the novice improviser is spared from the jarring dissonances that can occur while playing on the white keys. Many of my students will begin playing an improvised song and then play a note that they dislike. At this point they will sometimes pause and say, "Oh wait, what I meant to do was ..." and then they will play a different note. This "try before you buy" approach works well for composing, but improvisation is all about flow. If a less-than-satisfactory note is hit, the player should simply continue playing without pausing.
At my second lesson Daniel challenged me to go home and write a song. I told him there was no way I could do that. He asked if I had ever tried, and when I said no he asked how I knew I couldn't do it. I didn't know what to say, so I went home and wrote a song. The next week I wrote another. With a simple question, he had unlocked an ability I didn't even know I possessed.
My lessons with Daniel went far beyond simple music instruction, as he took each of my negative limiting beliefs and put it under the proverbial microscope. Seeing them so starkly allowed me to confront and defeat them, although it was a process that took time. Even now I still find myself contemplating the truths he taught about music and life. Through his guidance I discovered that there was an entire way of thinking that I hadn't realized existed. The tangible knowledge he gave me was powerful, but the increase in confidence I experienced as I began to believe in myself had an even greater impact on my life and playing.
On the outside it might seem like my chance encounter with Daniel was serendipitous, but if I hadn't been looking for answers I wouldn't have talked with him that day, and I wouldn't have asked him to teach me. Because I was searching for truth I saw an opportunity that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

I have had several awakening experiences throughout my life. The right person, the right trial, the right idea came my way just when it was needed and an upward shift occurred. These experiences can't be forced, but I can seek them by living with openness and humility. By believing more knowledge than I now possess exists, I am creating space for it to come into my life.
The learning process itself is a process of gradually awakening to a higher awareness. But it is not enough simply to acquire knowledge; I must also learn to apply it. If I think I understand money but am living paycheck to paycheck, I don't understand money. If I think I understand how to play piano but struggle to find time to practice and never achieve mastery, I don't understand how to play piano. When I care enough to take the time to make a consistent effort, it will always result in awakening to a higher awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment