Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Metronome Doesn't Lie


Recently I introduced one of my piano students to the dreaded metronome. I'm confident it will help her improve, but I also know exactly how difficult and painful it is to be constantly subjected to the relentless tick-tick-tick of this infernal but essential device. For those who have made their peace with the metronome, I applaud you. For everyone else, I offer the following advice:

1) The metronome doesn't lie

While a good piano teacher can provide great feedback about a variety of topics during a lesson, most students only see their piano teachers once a week and are on their own the other six days. As someone who struggles with rhythm, I've learned that the metronome doesn't lie. I either pressed the right keys at the right time, or I didn't. When I practice without a metronome, I often think I'm playing a passage correctly, but then discover when attempting to follow the beat of the metronome that I don't know it nearly as well as I should.

2) The metronome is an excellent substitute for singers or other instruments

When I am preparing to accompany singers or other instruments, I know that nothing matters more than the beat (this is true for solo performances as well, but it is especially true for duets and ensembles). I may miss a note here or there, but if there are pauses in my playing the whole performance can quickly turn into a train wreck. When I'm practicing on my own, the metronome does an excellent job of imitating the driving rhythm that singers and other instrumentalists will maintain during a performance. By learning to keep up with the metronome I'm doing everything I can to avoid costly rhythm mistakes while accompanying others.

3) The metronome is an effective music learning tool

Well-known classical guitarist Christopher Parkening was once asked after a virtuosic performance, "How many times do you think you've played that particular song? A hundred?" He smiled and gave a polite response, but in his mind he was thinking, "You have no idea." Thoroughly learning a piece of music requires frequent repetition to develop muscle memory, and a metronome is the perfect device for ensuring that each repetition is rhythmically correct.


4) The metronome can help pianists increase playing speed

The metronome allows pianists to begin learning a song at a slow and steady rate, then gradually increase the tempo until the desired goal is achieved. This process, repeated over time, improves agility and accuracy and allows the developing pianist to tackle increasingly greater challenges.


While certainly not easy, learning to play with a metronome can do more to sharpen piano skills then any other method I've found.

No comments:

Post a Comment